Corpse Camper
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered250 Experience Points

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series x 2 : I am looking to replace need ideas

Hey guys,

Looking to get rid of those shitty graphic cards and replace it with an nVidea card. I was looking at maybe getting the Asus Direct CU II Thermal Design GTX780 3GD5 Overclocked model. I found a few view I was a bit concerned about and wanted to know what peoples thoughts were or if I can get a better bang for my buck.

Amazon Review:

Have it for sell. Really does need a backboard. Very quiet. Performance does not match my EVGA 660TI. Better off going twin 600 or 500 series performance. Card designed for Windows 8 and really did not like my environment of Win7 nor my Gigabyte motherboard. Just about every other boot of my machine required a new prolonged discovery of the card. Even with new bios for both the card and motherboard, I could not resolve the issues of booting.
    My concern is I run Windows 7 and is it true I am better off running 2 580's or 680's/690's? Is there another graphic card configuration you would recommend over another? MMO-Champion reviews the 780 OC as a great product and highly recommends it.

My goal is to run games like WildStar, Watch Dogs, The Repopulation, etc at high>>>extremely high settings but still maintain 50 or high fps.

I also intend on getting an SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SSD Sata III Drive for my boot up and game operation drive in addition to a WD Black Series 2TB Drive for primary storage in hopes that also helps out.

anyways let me know you guys thoughts.

-EX
    Last edited by Expl0itz; 05-28-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Corpse Camper
    Achievements:
    Oh and btw ive never been a huge fan of AMD. I prefer the SLI interface that nVidea offers. Also nVidea seems to come out with more updates for their games to fine tune their drivers.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chopper Challenge Champion Detest's Avatar
    Watch dogs is terribly optimized in general so I wouldn't expect to get stellar fps on high/ultra settings. Nvidia is the way to go if you are looking to improve your performance their since Nvidia locked Ubisoft down and won't allow AMD to receive the DX11 code to optimize their drivers. Very shady and fucked up practices and that's why I use AMD but to each their own.

I wouldn't expect an AMD driver for Wildstar anytime too soon, again Nvidia just released driver support for it.

Overall you will probably get a better quality from Nvidia for now until AMD catches up, but Nvidia is just doing some shady shit and I would rather put my money in a company I trust.
    Overthinking, overanalyzing separates the body from the mind...withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment calling way outside the lines.

Corpse Camper
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Detest View Post
    Watch dogs is terribly optimized in general so I wouldn't expect to get stellar fps on high/ultra settings. Nvidia is the way to go if you are looking to improve your performance their since Nvidia locked Ubisoft down and won't allow AMD to receive the DX11 code to optimize their drivers. Very shady and fucked up practices and that's why I use AMD but to each their own.

I wouldn't expect an AMD driver for Wildstar anytime too soon, again Nvidia just released driver support for it.

Overall you will probably get a better quality from Nvidia for now until AMD catches up, but Nvidia is just doing some shady shit and I would rather put my money in a company I trust.

Normally I agree about going with the underdog in this case but AMD is giving me some graphic issues especially with DX11 games like watchdog. I get the issue where my graphic drivers have stopped responding and have been restored. I am not sure what else I can do besides upgrade to nVidea to optimize the performance out of my machine.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Expl0itz View Post
    Normally I agree about going with the underdog in this case but AMD is giving me some graphic issues especially with DX11 games like watchdog. I get the issue where my graphic drivers have stopped responding and have been restored. I am not sure what else I can do besides upgrade to nVidea to optimize the performance out of my machine.
    yea like I said AMD can't access the code to optimize Watch Dogs so if your looking to spend large amounts of time their then I would consider Nvidia. Those issues will always remain with AMD unless Nvidia backs down on this decision but I doubt that will happen.
    Overthinking, overanalyzing separates the body from the mind...withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment calling way outside the lines.

Corpse Camper
    Achievements:
    My current system is:

Processor: Intel i7 3930K
    Memory: 4x8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Hard Drives: 2x 7200RPM 2TB Hard Drives

I just ordered the following on amazon to fill up my other hard drive bays:

256GB Samsung Electronics 840 Pro SATA III Drive - This will act as my main boot drive and current game installation drive
    Western Digital Black Series 2TB SATA III Hard Drive - Main storage drive

So now I just need the graphics card and I am pretty sure I should be good for a while on this machine.

Any recommendations on which nVidea card I should go with or should I stick with the Asus GTX 780 OC Card?

Corpse Camper
    Achievements:
    Oh and it has to support 3 displays which is completely necessary. I would like to maybe hook up my other 3 later but its not completely necessary.

Achievements:
    My current system is:

Processor: Intel i7 3930K
    Memory: 4x8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Hard Drives: 2x 7200RPM 2TB Hard Drives

I just ordered the following on amazon to fill up my other hard drive bays:

256GB Samsung Electronics 840 Pro SATA III Drive - This will act as my main boot drive and current game installation drive
    Western Digital Black Series 2TB SATA III Hard Drive - Main storage drive

So now I just need the graphics card and I am pretty sure I should be good for a while on this machine.

Any recommendations on which nVidea card I should go with or should I stick with the Asus GTX 780 OC Card?
    if your heatsink can handle the OC then you should be fine, what's your budget?

Corpse Camper
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Detest View Post
    if your heatsink can handle the OC then you should be fine, what's your budget?
    No more then $600-$700

Knowledge Seeker
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Hey guys,

Looking to get rid of those shitty graphic cards and replace it with an nVidea card. I was looking at maybe getting the Asus Direct CU II Thermal Design GTX780 3GD5 Overclocked model. I found a few view I was a bit concerned about and wanted to know what peoples thoughts were or if I can get a better bang for my buck.

Amazon Review:

My concern is I run Windows 7 and is it true I am better off running 2 580's or 680's/690's? Is there another graphic card configuration you would recommend over another? MMO-Champion reviews the 780 OC as a great product and highly recommends it.

My goal is to run games like WildStar, Watch Dogs, The Repopulation, etc at high>>>extremely high settings but still maintain 50 or high fps.

I also intend on getting an SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SSD Sata III Drive for my boot up and game operation drive in addition to a WD Black Series 2TB Drive for primary storage in hopes that also helps out.

anyways let me know you guys thoughts.

-EX
    Ex,

Politics aside, the card you're looking at (GTX 780) is pretty much the clear winner for a single GPU setup from NVidia (unless you're going above the 700$ price point). I have done 3 personal builds in the last 7 years, and have not had any issues with any of my GeForce products. The GTS I was using circa 2007 lasted 5-6 years under 365 day power and 5+ gaming hours daily before needing to be replaced, and I was still geting 50-60 FPS in games like Skyrim at respectable graphics levels.

Until AMD catches back up to where they were in the early 2000's, I will be a firm supporter of NVidia. I easily flipflop between manufacturers based on personal experience and benchmarking from reputable hardware sites (Tom's Hardware, etc.) So there is no fanboyism here.

I am currently using a GTX 670, and with Wildstar at max graphics, was still getting over 60FPS in all zones except Illium (maybe 40 FPS in densely populated areas.) This was prior to the new drivers released by NVidia recently, and on straight Direct X 11. I haven't tested with any new settings, or Direct X 9 + mod conversions yet.

I know you said the manufacturer of the GTX 780 card was ASUS, so that's good. Always go with a reputable vendor. I've seen a lot of negative press surrounding MSI for example (another GeForce GPU vendor) so do the leg work, and make sure you're getting a product that's worth your money.