PDA

View Full Version : The end of terrorism!

Polycasta
06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
I've been sayin' it from the beginning! We wouldn't solve terrorism with political gibberish, we'd solve it with good old American know-how and inventiveness!

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/06/24/company-sells-pork-laced-bullets-to-fight-islamic-terrorists/

Besides being amusing, this article also shows why so many people think academics are idiots:
"But some religious experts debate the theory that the bullets would prevent a Muslim from attaining salvation should they be shot with the pork-laced ammunition. 'There is no penalty for coming into contact with pork given by the Quran, said Shannon Dunn, assistant professor of religious studies at Gonzaga University... "

Did anyone without a Ph.D see this as the opening salvo in a theological debate? Or did you see it as a marketing gimmick? Didn't think so.

Kiluvian
06-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Did anyone without a Ph.D see this as the opening salvo in a theological debate? Or did you see it as a marketing gimmick? Didn't think so.

Well, technically, it was "unclean" because they didn't have the tools and chemicals to properly clean the meat from pigs in those eras. Now-a-days we can properly clean the meat, and purge the parasites that would've normally survived being cooked with the meat, making it safe to eat. So, none of that even applies anymore.

Us 'muricans have re-evaluated our religious and non-religious laws since then, whereas pretty much every Islamic based country out there still has the exact same laws that haven't changed in almost 2 thousand years. I mean they add more laws, but they never get rid of any outdated ones.

Polycasta
06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, technically, it was "unclean" because they didn't have the tools and chemicals to properly clean the meat from pigs in those eras. Now-a-days we can properly clean the meat, and purge the parasites that would've normally survived being cooked with the meat, making it safe to eat. So, none of that even applies anymore.

Us 'muricans have re-evaluated our religious and non-religious laws since then, whereas pretty much every Islamic based country out there still has the exact same laws that haven't changed in almost 2 thousand years. I mean they add more laws, but they never get rid of any outdated ones.

Thank God for the Enlightenment!

Islam is about 1400 years old, but of course it didn't replace the previous cultural rules, just changed a few things. I would say it stopped changing about 600 years ago.

I'm not sure that our methods of slaughter are that much better than the olden days. We basically do the same stuff, but faster and probably less humanely due to the assembly line nature of it. And this is only in the past century or so; before that it was probably worse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle) than 2000+ years ago.

Big reasons for pork taboos:
The 'technical' reason they are not kosher/ halal is because they do not chew their cud; this is because they aren't ruminants like cows and goats, which would make them more efficient at converting simple foods (grass, weeds, etc.) into energy. Partially because of this, they are voracious foragers, rooting up lots of vegetation in their search for food. They require a lot of food, and a lot of water. In a desert area this would lead to horrendous erosion, and would put pigs in competition with humans for limited resources. In this respect outlawing pork is like outlawing SUVs; not a good idea according to capitalists, but you can at least see the practical reasons why a society on the edge of survival might do so.

Pigs are anatomically similar to humans. This is why they are often used in experiments, and why the first insulin for diabetics came from a pigs' pancreas. This means that we share a lot of diseases and parasites. Of all the meats, pork has the highest chance of fucking us up if it isn't cooked well. A lack of cooking fuel in deserts is another reason why pork is rarely tolerated in desert cultures.

Coolest reason:
A reason that some scholars give is that cooking pork smells the same as cooking human, which was a big problem with some of the pagan neighbors of the Monotheistic religions of the area.

Kiluvian
06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Too many facts, not enough sarcasm.

Here's a funny fact: I sent this link to my step-brother; he bought some.

Polycasta
06-25-2013, 08:42 PM
I thought my first line was pretty good.

Kiluvian
06-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I thought my first line was pretty good.

It was, but it was the only one... I expected more, especially after I took the time to attempt to pyscho-analyze and bait you into a fact search :(

Polycasta
06-25-2013, 09:23 PM
HAH! I didn't have to do any research. That was just my train of thought. Dual BS degree in Religious Studies and History, with a minor in Environmental Studies ;)

Damn, now I look like an even bigger nerd.

Kiluvian
06-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Wait, so you reverse-trolled me? Damn.

Polycasta
06-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Don't feel bad son. I've been trolling since before there was an internet.