PDA

View Full Version : Sword Art Online

Vash
07-12-2013, 08:04 PM
It's an Anime, but it's actually really cool. It even reminds me of a few of you folks. Anyway, the setting is that everyone is trapped in a virtual reality MMO. And Kirito is basically Swag! ... well, that's what I've gotten so far from watching up to episode 4 =P

Xing
07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Lol. FFXIV raid tower made me think of this show

Twisted
07-13-2013, 10:42 AM
SAO. Such an amazing concept. Fails miserably to do anything with it. Fun to watch, but ultimately disappointing.

If you need some recommendations let me know.

Xing
07-13-2013, 10:57 AM
SAO. Such an amazing concept. Fails miserably to do anything with it. Fun to watch, but ultimately disappointing.

Don't be such a snob Twisted. Enjoy it for it! What you need is more League of Legends in your life to balance yourself out!

Opi
07-13-2013, 05:14 PM
League of Legends

rofl

Efanu
07-13-2013, 06:32 PM
World of Warcraft

rofl

fixed!

Calibix
07-14-2013, 09:27 PM
fixed!

Owned by a ginger. I'd be ashamed if I were you guys.

Ira
07-14-2013, 11:07 PM
sword art is based on a novel, read those. the anime and manga dont do it justice

Zyld
07-14-2013, 11:21 PM

I'll take some suggestions.

For reference: I have never been huge into anime, but I am like 7 episodes into Full Metal Alchemist and I really enjoy it. I have also watched the whole first season of .hack and thought it was awful.

EDIT: OH! and I just remembered I have seen all the seasons for YuYu Hakasho and thought it was incredible if there are any good suggestions along those terms.

Ira
07-15-2013, 12:46 AM
oh god yu yu hakusho, thats the good shit right there

EDIT: i wish i could help i dont really watch anime, i mostly read it, but im hearing good things about attack on titan aka shinji no kyoji
i only watch japanese audio with subtitles tho, english dubbing is trash

Twisted
07-15-2013, 02:31 AM
So some easy recommendations then to get you started.

This is my top 5:
1. Steins;Gate
2. Code Geass
3. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
4. Death Note
5. Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann

Some other ones that are basically "must sees" (basically everyone expects everyone to have seen them):

-Evangelion
-Ghost in the Shell
-FLCL
-Elfen Lied

Some other solid choices:
- Madoka Magica
- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya (the movie after the series is one of the best movies I've seen)
- Clannad: After Story
- Trigun
- Cowboy Beebop
- Great Teacher Onizuka

And currently for regular TV that you can't miss:
- Game of Thrones
- Breaking Bad

Hit me up on mumble and I can give you a better starting point based on interests etc.

Defiant
07-15-2013, 10:47 AM
This is quite possibly the gayest active thread on our forums.

Grouchy Smurf
07-15-2013, 11:12 AM
If you are under 25 years old, ignore Twisted's suggestions.

Start watching Married with Children. You will learn a couple of things about life.

Twisted
07-15-2013, 12:14 PM

What's wrong with watching good shows? A good plot, solid characters, and compelling action is fun to watch regardless of medium.

Scrawl
07-15-2013, 12:48 PM
sword art is based on a novel, read those. the anime and manga dont do it justice

I've never been a fan of reading light novel translations cause they're slow to release usually and sometimes not even released in the right order chapter wise (so like chapter 9 might come out before 6-8 for some volume). That being said, there's still quite a few arcs for the anime to deal with in the second season and people who have read the novels all generally agree that ALO (second half of the first season) is the low point of the series. Apparently there were a number of neat scenes that were cut for time in it tho which is kind of a shame.

Calibix
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM

That's not true. Anything Krashe posted in was the gayest. But for active threads, yeah.

Xing
07-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll take some suggestions.

For reference: I have never been huge into anime, but I am like 7 episodes into Full Metal Alchemist and I really enjoy it. I have also watched the whole first season of .hack and thought it was awful.

EDIT: OH! and I just remembered I have seen all the seasons for YuYu Hakasho and thought it was incredible if there are any good suggestions along those terms.

Watch Samurai Champloo

Twisted
07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Also if you want a low commitment comedy I highly recommend: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

Burn
07-15-2013, 07:49 PM
1. Evangelion
2. Gurren Laggen
3. Naruto
4. Darker than Black
5. Full Metal Alchemist

Also good ones

Bleach (Lots of episodes, like naruto)
One Piece (Shit ton of episodes)
Attack on Titan (Very popular manga turning into a show right now on episode 14)

SOA is good tho.
Devil is a part timer also!

Scrawl
07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Whenever I see someone have Eva as their top anime rec to someone who doesn't watch anime at all I cringe a little. It is definitely not the best starter show or anywhere near it. That being said, for starter shows, I'd go with stuff like
SCRYED (dub)
Big O (dub)
REDLINE (Movie) (Sub)
Black Lagoon (I prefer the sub but some people like the dub)
Darker than Black as Burn mentioned (I watched it subbed)
Baccano! (same as black lagoon)

All of these are stuff someone more used to american media could enjoy (which is why half of them aired on adult swim before their anime division went down the toilet) to get accustomed to ridiculous anime nonsense.

and then if you're okay with longer length stuff, Katanagatari is a good 13 ep series where the eps are closer to an hour and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best thing you'll ever watch but 110 25-30 minute eps. If you're okay with 100+ ep stuff then Yu yu is also good and completely dubbed.

Duguall
07-15-2013, 08:32 PM
I thought every american was required to like Cowboy Bepop and Trigun?

And just to criticize Twisted for the sake of having nothing better to do.
Elfen Lied attempted to be a psychological horror by mistakingly putting in a lot of gore and a couple naked teenagers. Of course, american movies have the same problem, they think gory means scary. But Elfen Lied ended up throwing in too much fan service (It was almost every episode in a show that should have been serious since the beginning.) If you don't care about that, and just want some pretty violence, sure, go for it.

Evangelion is definitely not something to introduce to someone, especially if they don't care or aren't able to keep up with character progression and unmentioned background story that has to be assumed at times and a story that's hard to follow. Not to mention it just looks old. Yuck. For what it is, though, it is a cult hit in the anime world, for subjectively good reasons.

No complaints about Ghost in the Shell. Have to try harder...

FLCL and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya suffer similar problems of not really having any strong plot, just bounces around a lot. (From what I remember of FLCL anyways) In fact, the episodes of Melancholy are completely out of order. Even chronologically, story still bounces around slightly and gets hard to follow, or annoying. At one point in Melancholy, I think it's six episodes? that are almost all identical. you almost literally watch the same thing six times.

Puella Magi Madoka Magicka is an interesting show. Plenty of gore and shock factor with a handful of plot twists thrown everywhere and a story that deceives the childish appearance. Fuck childish appearances you lolita fanatic.

Most of those things are meant for the 12-18 age group in Japan, though. And I'm a grumpy 21 year old who thinks shows aren't as good as they used to be. But hey, if you're actually interested in that kind of thing, those shows do have high points for their target audience.

Twisted
07-15-2013, 10:30 PM
I pretty much agree with your critique dugaull.

I only listed evangelion/flcl/elfen lied not because they are the pinnacle of anime, but rather because they are ones that at some point someone will have expected you to have seen them. They are generally very polarizing and ones that often times are referenced quite often within discussion. I will note the new evangelion movies are proving to be quite enjoyable (although 3.3 was wierd), and the elfen lied manga is a very good read (especially if you don't like how the anime ends [cliffhangers everywhere]). However, I should have mentioned there are better mindless violence shows such as Hellsing Ultimate, Berserk, or arguable fate/zero (more plot driven than just violence, ending is dulled as its a prequel to a much shittier story).

Melancholy is a 8/10 show at best, with maybe a few episodes that are 9/10, and a number of duds as well (endless eight are probably a 2/10). However, I recommend it because its easy enough to follow (watch it in haruhi (chronological) order rather than kyon (broadcast)), and the sequel movie is absolutely amazing. Like I cannot say enough about the movie, it is a must see, however it does lean on the fact that people will have seen the show, so I basically recommend the show specifically to get to the movie.

Ulimately though, my top 5 are all pretty easy to follow shows that are very popular. They all have some unique aspects, but all have a degree of action, drama, and suspense with a well developed plot (except TTGL, but comon its TTGL it is epic). They are definitely where I'd start if I haven't seen any of them.

Auedar
07-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Challenge accepted.